The RYA Marine VHF Radio Short Range Certificate (SRC) is the minimum qualification required to operate marine VHF GMDSS radio equipment on a vessel. This includes both fixed and handheld equipment with and without Digital Selective Calling (DSC). The RYA Short Range Certificate issued in the UK is in line with other European countries as per the rules and regulations under CEPT (The European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations).
Most candidates are required to complete an RYA SRC course prior to taking the exam. This SRC course may be taken in a classroom or online.
There is no age limit for taking the SRC course although exam candidates must be 16 years old on the day of the exam.
Course subjects include:
- routine operation of marine VHF radio including Digital Selective Calling
- knowing the correct VHF channels (frequencies) to be used for each type of communication
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- ship to shore communication
- practical use of Marine VHF DSC radios
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)
The exam is a combination of a written theory test and practical assessment in the use of Marine VHF DSC radios.
The RYA Short Range Certificate online course gives you the opportunity to study at your own pace at your own location. This SRC/VHF Radio course uses lots of practical examples, helping you to learn how to practically use the VHF radio within the realm of maritime VHF regulations.
The course also includes a large variety of simulated real-life situations - both for routine and distress transmissions.
When you have completed your online course and when you feel ready, you're welcome to book the SRC exam at our training centre in the Netherlands.
Ability after the course
Next to having become a skilled VHF operator, the SRC certificate is also one of the prerequisites for anyone wishing to apply for commercial endorsement of any of the following certificates:
- Yachtmaster Ocean
- Yachtmaster Offshore
- Yachtmaster Coastal
- Day Skipper practical, combined with an invigilated Day Skipper shorebase certificate
- Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate (only if issued before 1st Jan 2005)
- Powerboat Advanced Certificate of Competence
- Powerboat level 2
- Access to the RYA online SRC course
- RYA VHF handbook
- Remote access to our instructors to help you with queries during your course
Applying for your SRC exam and licence
After successful finishing the SRC online pre-assessment, you can apply for the examination and the GMDSS Short Range Certificate. The application costs £60, payable to the RYA.