The course is broken down into four online modules:
- Commercial environment - how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
Following the modules there is a mock assessment so you can check you are ready before moving on to the final graded online assessment.
We estimate users will take around 6 to 8 hours to work through the four course modules. The graded end of course assessment is split into two sections, totaling about 2 ½ hours.
Ability after the course
Anyone wishing to re-validate or apply for a commercial endorsement must complete the online PPR course first. This applies to the following certificates of competence:
- Yachtmaster Ocean
- Yachtmaster Offshore
- Yachtmaster Coastal
- Day Skipper practical, combined with an invigilated Day Skipper shorebase certificate
- Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate (only if issued before 1st Jan 2005)
- Powerboat Advanced Certificate of Competence
- Powerboat level 2
- All online course material
- Remote access to our instructors to help you with queries during your course
- Certificate at successful completion of the course
We recommend studying the RYA publication 'Commercial regulations - small vessels'.